During the Pangaea Project, the stage that I headed was called Age of Discovery, which focused on the industrial and scientific achievements of Manchester. The issue is I also wanted to highlight the negative impacts of this progress. I didn’t get to explore this area as much as I wanted to, but this is what I managed to do, a steaming barrel of toxic waste:
To start I got a large milk powder can, emptied it (I gave the contents to the office up stairs), spray painted it matte silver, and had an artist team member draw a skull and crossbones in a yellow triangle on it. I then used glittery blue, green, and yellow hot glue to make the drip patterns over the edge, and piled a small amount at the base on a piece of baking paper (to make the effect of a puddle). I then mounted an LED fogger inside. Click “Continue Reading” to see how I could have improved.
Continue reading Pangaea: A steaming barrel of toxic waste
A couple of months ago I saw this post by the legendary crafter MagpieB0nes. I didn’t think much of it, in fact looking at the method I figured the light would be rather static and dull (although the overall aesthetic was amazing)! Fast-forward about a month and I’m discussing with the manager of a certain LARP what props I could make to make his quests more interesting. One thing that was brought up was the lack of safety involved in fighting around real fires. I instantly knew what could be done!
Continue reading LARP: Torches
One of the projects I’m proudest of having worked on was Pangaea Festival 2018. In this I was promoted to the head of a stage, and was given free reign to design and decorate one of the stages, Age of Discovery. One of the items I made to decorate this room was giant spinning atoms:
I made this out of three wiggly metal rings hot glue gunned together at right angles. Four atoms were connected together (varying numbers and colors for other atoms) and tied up with fishing line and suspended from one of the rings. The entire thing was then hung from a disco ball hook to allow it to spin.
Overall this was a success, but I was disappointed on two major points:
- The three rings were difficult to hold together while gluing
- The glue wasn’t strong enough to hold them together and many broke before properly being hung up (if I had more time and money I would have used a scratch stone to identify the metal and used the correct type of solder to join them)
- Some of the disco ball hooks didn’t work