Skip to content
DIY & creative
- Basic sewing – machine sewing straight lines and loose curvatures, fitting buttons, fixing holes, defraying edges, selecting and maintaining parts of a sewing machine.
- Intermediate model building – creating realistic small-scale landscapes, realistic stones, use of a static flock applicator, manipulation of materials on a small scale, planning and arranging models
- Basic woodwork – basic semi-accurate cutting by hand, routing, drilling, basic joining by brackets, screws, and glues.
- Basic glass cutting – cutting glass panels into specific shapes and arranging / connecting them.
- Basic soldering – identifying which solders are needed for which metals, and soldering them to fairly decent standards.
- Basic electronics – designing electronic circuits to cope with basic demands, use of programmable micro-controllers such as RaspberryPi and Arduino UNO to respond to input.
- Basic laser cutting and etching – able to set up files for laser cutting, and set up laser cutter for cutting and etching a range of materials in a range of ways, as well as troubleshooting problems.
- Basic 3D printing – able to set up files for 3D printing, and set up 3D printer for printing models, troubleshooting problems with prints, cleaning nozzles, and cleaning up and smoothing printed models.
- Advanced excel – statistical analysis on enormous datasets, defining new functions with simple VBA, formatting data and results to publisher standards, and customizing worksheets and toolbars to maximize clarity and efficiency.
- Intermediate Chemdraw – customizing toolbars to maximize efficiency, intermediate parsing, advanced and high-speed construction of complex molecules and reaction schemes, intermediate simulated spectra, and building diagrams and schemes to publisher standards.
- Basic programming in MatLab – statistical analysis, simple databases, and control flow.
- Basic FreeCAD – create and annotate simple 3D models.
- Basic programming in Python – do simple control flow, user interfaces, and define functions.
- Basic Autodesk Fusion 360 – create and annotate simple 3D models, set up models for 3D printing, and create path vectors for laser / vinyl cutting from 3D models.
- Intermediate statistics – statistical analysis of a wide range of data types, testing for various results.
- Advanced geometry – dealing with the measurements of angles, lengths, areas, and volumes in 3D and 2D.
- Advanced thermodynamics – understanding the equations and interactions of energy and matter, as well as predicting thermodynamic behavior through statistical thermodynamics.
- Advanced reaction kinetics – calculating and predicting the behavior of chemical reactions, including decays, adsorptions, absorption, and catalysis.
Chemical research skills
- Devising synthetic routes – deep understanding of organic and inorganic reaction methods, retrosynthesis,
- Calculating – calculating quantities, calculating expected and observed yields, scaling reactions, optimizing atom economy, and predicting reaction conditions.
- Good lab practice – safety, keeping accurate and precise lab notes, recording and presenting data to high standards.
- Manual synthesis – familiarity with various pieces of glassware, designing and building set-ups, measuring quantities of substances, creating stocks, running and observing reactions, purifying / seperating products through various methods.
- Confirmation of products – using quick and simple analytical techniques such as TLC and indicators / stains to identify products and determine purity, as well as accurate weighing to determine observed yield.
- Analytical techniques – determining which techniques are correct to find relevant information to an appropriate level of accuracy and precision.
- Report writing – writing relevant and engaging information, presenting data, and generating and arranging schemes and diagrams, all to a high degree of publishing standards.
Health & safety
- Ladder training – completed in mid 2018 and covers all standard health and safety of using a ladder according to the HSE.
- Standard laboratory safety training – COSHH training, writing substance risk assessments, writing equipment risk assessments, basic first aid, basic emergency procedure, working knowledge of storage procedure.
- Intermediate fire safety – Fireproofing fabrics and wood, emergency fire procedure, fire prevention measures.